Welcome to Minneapolis
Land of 10,000 (Refreshing) Lakes

It's summer.

It's the best place in the world to be.  The City of Lakes, Bikes and Beer are in active form and the fleshy, shirtless Minnesotans remind us of this.

As long as my wireless covers the back porch, I'll keep you in the loop of this wonderment.



Monday, November 24, 2008

Big Gingers

We were bred as Americans to think that the apple hitting us on the head moment is to come sitting at a bar stool.

Not to say there is anything wrong with drinking and ideationonly that's the fall back expectation as to what we think should be happening in order to have that great idea.

I dream of my big business idea happening at a bar.  There's something romantic about the idea of opening the "Who We Are" page on your company website with "It all started with a pen and a cocktail napkin and a Corona.."

Or, standing in front of a thousand people as a keynote speaker stating, "The trick is (enter regurgitated corporate quote).  Now, let's go get a beer - first round is on me."

My latest moment happened Saturday night.

I was at a friend's birthday party at The Local in downtown Minneapolis.  The nostalgic Irish pub serves three things, in no particular order, Guinness, Jameson Whiskey and Fish.

Fueled by two of the three, Freddy, Zim and I began talking about Zim's latest fixed gear bike quest (pic to come as soon as the back brake is uninstalled - in true manly bike fashion).

We had an epiphany for a bike business.*

As the beer fueled innovation escalated, the idea spiraled into a mega-business.  The course of discussion when like this.

John: I'm telling you, this is what we need to pull together.  People would pay for this.  We just need a shop to get this started

Freddy: What kind of shop?

John: A bike shop?  Aren't you following along.

Freddy: I don't get it.

Zim: Shut your face!

John: How does it not make any sense?  This is genius!

Zim: YYewwwEAh!

Freddy: Ok, you're right.  Can the place also be a bar?

John: I don't see why not.

Freddy: Can I bartend?

John: No.  Well....Okay.

Zim: What else can we add?

Freddy: How about a gym mat in the basement?  You can just prowl around down there and squelch at patrons.

Zim: YYewwwEAh!

John: We need a sign.

Freddy: Like a real one?

Zim: Why the hell not?!?!

John: Let's put a sign above the men's room.

Zim: What's it say?

John: "Zim's Gym"

Freddy: That would have to go above the women's room.

Zim: YYewwwEAh!


The conversation ended with arm wrestling.

There aren't many pearls in this post.  Only, I'll probably avoid liquor when I put together my business proposal.



*I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment