Welcome to Minneapolis
Land of 10,000 (Refreshing) Lakes

It's summer.

It's the best place in the world to be.  The City of Lakes, Bikes and Beer are in active form and the fleshy, shirtless Minnesotans remind us of this.

As long as my wireless covers the back porch, I'll keep you in the loop of this wonderment.



Friday, November 21, 2008

The Blizzard of Ahhs

Glen Plake's life work, see right.

If you were interested in skiing growing up in the mid-80's, this is the guy you wanted to be.

He was the reason I harassed my dad into taking me to Snowstar*, in Andalusia, IL.  One of my true childhood heroes.

The Ski and Snowboard Expo was going on last weekend in Minneapolis.  After hearing Glen would be there, I made the trek downtown.

I did a few laps indoors, thinking there would be stage, or a booth packed with people.  I was frustrated, standing and staring at crappy Rossignol snowboards (Rossignol, stick to skis).  I turn literally 180 degrees and I am face to face with Glen.

He's wearing his patented bowlers cap and sitting in the Elan booth chatting with another Elan rep.  There was not another person within 40 feet.

I couldn't figure it out.  In my head, here was an iconic American freeskiier.  Someone who literally had a hand in changing the sport of skiing.  But everyone seemed to be more concerned with discounted Marmot pants at the Hoigaard's booth.

There was even Sharpie markers, posters and a life size cut-out of Glen (with full neon green Mohawk), which I felt was, in itself, attention getting.  Or at least indicated importance.

A Dalbello rep walked up and asked me if I had any questions.  I told him I would take a product brochure for kicks (admitting, I've switched to snowboarding over the past ten years), but really wanted to meet Glen.

The Dalbello rep said, "You have to tap him on the shoulder and introduce yourself.  Otherwise, he doesn't know if people want to talk to him because no one really knows who he is."

Unreal.

I introduced myself and immediately started sweating like I was on a first date.  He asked where I was from.  I told him Iowa originally, by way of Breckenridge.

Off the top of his head, he started listing ski areas in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois.  Sundown, Chestnut and a couple other areas that, if not for a teenage kid sitting behind a ticket counter, wouldn't be much more than the local sledding hill.

"If I had to live in Iowa, put me at Sundown Mountain," Glen said.

What he should have said was, "If I was forced to survive in Iowa, please, for the love of God, put me at Sundown ski area."

This is a guy who's skied parts of Chamonix Mont-Blanc in the French Alps that have been skied by only a handful of other people.  A place where skiers routinely DIE by falling off 1,000 foot cliffs and crevices.  I was sincerely impressed he could rattle off places that are better known for combines than world class skiing.

We chatted about Colorado, Reel Thrills and his upcoming trip to France.  Incredibly nice guy.

He signed a poster for me which states, "To John.  Ski you in Iowa!"

It's taped to my bedroom door.

I'm a ten year old wiener.


For other wieners who love ski and snowboard videos - get these in your NetFlix queue:

Maltese Flamingo, License to Thrill, Dr. Strangeglove, Sno What, Natural Born Skier and, my all-time favorite, Blizzard of Ahhs.




*Elevation 210 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment