Welcome to Minneapolis
Land of 10,000 (Refreshing) Lakes

It's summer.

It's the best place in the world to be.  The City of Lakes, Bikes and Beer are in active form and the fleshy, shirtless Minnesotans remind us of this.

As long as my wireless covers the back porch, I'll keep you in the loop of this wonderment.



Monday, February 9, 2009

Ratios


You can approach the math however you would like, but the end solution in a good relationship always ends up with decision making ratio of 60/40.

I say “always,” but I guess I really mean “aggregate average.”

One exception, I’ve come to discover over the past month, is when the topic is wedding planning. In this case it skews more 70/30. Or even 80/20.
Ehh…**shutter** 80/20…

Wedding planning, among many other descriptors, has been a treat. Truthfully, Aly and my wedding objectives are strategically in the same direction:

1. Great Environment
2. Family-like Interaction
3. Much Fun/Dancing/Shenanigans

Tactically, on how those are executed, not so much.

Whereas I would like to hire a bona-fide Cuban to hand roll cigars and enhance the “Great Environment” bucket, Aly believes that “Designer Wedding Dress” is the most important line item under that category.

Aly’s creativity really shines when she works to support this point, by the way.

Or say, I would like to do the champagne toast with Guinness while Aly would prefer to enhance the family-esque interaction with mounds of olive oil and fresh baked bread.

This is not to say that one direction is better than the other. It’s just funny how two different approaches get melded into a day about both. And, at the same time, creates the tactical minutiae that leads to the type of discussions which make planning a wedding such a pain in the ass.

The additional factor is the budget. While a very clearly defined financial space enhances your creativity with the execution, it sometimes comes at the expense of other ideas.

I’m crossing my fingers that the most creative (and affordable) ideas win out on the day. Knowing the two of us, I think they will.

And as for the decision making ratio, I would imagine (and hope) the ratio dips back to 60/40. And, the great irony about the 60/40 relationship? It’s that both parties think they are on the 40 end of the spectrum.

So, if you are both giving 40, where does the other 20 go?

A: Otis.


No comments:

Post a Comment