Welcome to Minneapolis
Land of 10,000 (Refreshing) Lakes

It's summer.

It's the best place in the world to be.  The City of Lakes, Bikes and Beer are in active form and the fleshy, shirtless Minnesotans remind us of this.

As long as my wireless covers the back porch, I'll keep you in the loop of this wonderment.



Sunday, April 5, 2009

Renovo Bicycles

I remember reading a review for a Renovo bicycle this past fall in Men's Journal.

This was around the time I put it in my head I wanted wood accents for my fixed gear and was completely blown away by such a supremely engineered piece of wood.

I cruised the site for info, made my first attempt at wood handle bars and have since tried to figure out a cost-effective way to make functional parts.

While we were in Portland last month, Team Motts emerged from Roots Organic Brewing Company around dinnertime to come face to face with a middle aged guy with an insanely unique bike.

The guy happened to be Ken Wheeler, owner and brain trust, of Renovo Hardwood Bicycles and the bike happened to be one of his own:



No doubt, the pint of beer had something to do with our wonderment but seeing a piece of maple wood fashioned into an everyday pony-whip has a way of making your jaw drop.

Check out Renovo's website.

Ken has put up some interesting information and even more interesting bicycles.


2 comments:

  1. Buncha drunks for sure. Next time tho, pick me up on the way over to Roots.
    And for crying out loud drop the 'middle aged guy' stuff, I'm trying to meet women and if that kind of information gets out, I'm doomed to life with my poodle.
    Thanks for the kind words,
    -Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Ken.

    What I meant to say was, "A guy looking not a day over 21 and can't believe he got a beer without being carded."

    I fell in love with Portland - what an great city. You have an amazing set-up and your bikes are truly an original.

    If you come across the need for someone with a marketing/advertising background and an obsession with bicycles, keep me in mind.


    Thanks again,
    John

    ReplyDelete